Sunday, July 5, 2009

I Knew it Was Going to Happen

There had been indications for the last two weeks that the coffee maker just was not going to last much longer. It had started making this gurgling noise that it used to only make at the very end of the brewing. Also that sound was much louder and well, kindof worrisome. I knew it was coming but just did not want to go and buy a new one until I had to. Well that was today. After it made coffee this morning and there was coffee on the counter and weirdly on top of the coffee maker itself I knew it was time to let go. I had another coffee maker under the cabinet and thought I would use it. When it died then I would get a completely new one. I mean if there is one there then use it. In a word, no. I cleaned out the coffee maker and there was this weird "stuff" that seemed to come out with the water. So in the span of 15 minutes I had absolutely no coffee maker. This is not good. For someone who never used to drink coffee I have become a two fisted drinker. It started in 1991 when I was substitute teaching and was being "social". It became more hardcore when one summer Allison and I decided we would go to every Starbucks in the DFW area. This was before there was a Starbucks on every corner. When I started teaching full time coffee became my morning ritual along with putting on makeup. Just the smell could soothe a bad temper. So here I sat with the prospects of no coffee in the morning. That was not going to happen as long as there is Wal-Mart close by. Needless to say I went to the store, chose the one I wanted, came home, washed it and now it proudly sits on the counter waiting for it's first real brew. Lately I have entered the kitchen wondering if the old coffee maker had actually worked and being happy when I smelled the lucious coffee smell as I walked into the kitchen. Tomorrow morning I know it will be there waiting for me.

No comments: