So I took some white and picked up all the stitches and knitted one more row. It turned out ok but I was not happy with the fact it seemed a little tight.
This fit a little better length-wise and is ok but I was still not happy. This was also a K2,P2 pattern for the whole hat. I decided to try adding four more stitches to give it a little more stretch and did a 1x1 rib pattern for the whole hat. I used some Bernat Pink Camo from the stash (it is now discontinued) and some Lion Brand Wool-ease White Frost. The white is a little fuzzy and looks cool on hats. I used the white for a small trim and the rest of the hat in the pink camo.
Not only did it fit good but she can pull it on and off all by herself.