Monday, August 3, 2009

Fun in Florida








I was looking back over the trip to Florida and trying to decide what to share from my trip there. I decided to split the trip up over a few days simply because the things we did. Our first excursion was to Ave Maria which is a community built around the Ave Maria University. Apparently the owner of Dominos Pizza, sorry I cannot remember his name, gave a large donation to help build the university. Now they are building a town around the university. They have a golf course, town square with dozens of cute shops, grocery store and houses that are being built. It is about 15 minutes from Naples. We ate at a shop called The Bean. I had an absolutely yummy Cuban sandwich. We then went to The Oratory. I am not familiar with the various types of "church levels" in the Catholic Church but apparently The Oratory is one of the few in the country and of great importance. The outside is beautiful. The inside while also being beautiful was wonderful. JE and I went in and just sat. Sometimes in the hustle and bustle and noise of the world just sitting in the quiet is balm to the soul. We headed back to Naples. Since I have been there several times we just decided to pick up a few things, like visiting a yarn shop and then we went to old downtown Naples. There we visited a Wine/Cigar Bar that Joseph had enjoyed while he was there. We just stopped by to tell the owner Colin hi. When you walk in the smell of tobacco is faint but pleasant. I am partial to the smell of cigars because my grandpa smoked cigars so this might bother other people but I liked it. You cannot actually smoke in the building but can sit outside with a glass of beer or wine and enjoy the day. (When I was little after we moved to Texas we used to bring my grandpa Lovera cigars. Anyone else remember those? But the cigars at the bar were a little more pricey). Later we ate at The Dock a great seafood restaurant. It is right on the water and there are even pelicans that sit on the deck. They have great grouper. I ate fish almost every day and grouper is very tasty. Also since it is the rainy season in Florida we had some rain every day. That was a first for me since I usually visit later in the fall. Tomorrow...Corkscrew.

No comments: