Sunday, January 31, 2010

Baking Cookies












Lately I have been wanting cookies. I am not sure why. Since the kidney infection the doctor recommended I try to stay away from caffeine. I was able to transition to decaf coffee and tea fairly easily. Well really you can only go without coffee for so long. I gave up my Diet Coke deciding I would rather have the coffee. What I really wanted was anything chocolate. Of course that was what I wanted. But chocolate has caffeine, the dark even more than the milk, so of course I was wanting brownies and chocolate chip cookies. The thought of the pain I went through with the kidney infection has kept me from them. Yesterday I got an e-mail from http://www.delish.com/. They have some really good recipes. There happened to be a link for some Soft Sugar Cookies. One thing I don't like about sugar cookies is the crunchiness they seem to aquire fairly quickly. Since these were soft I thought I would try them. Oh, my, goodness!! They were wonderful I think one of the reasons is that they call for nutmeg. The whole kitchen smelled fantastic and the cookies just melt in your mouth. I had to take some pictures, well, just because. The cookies turned out pretty. The only thing I changed was I baked them for 13 minutes. I thought that was a little weird since I have a brand new oven, the other meeting it's demise back in October. A fitting end for an oven that was over 33 years old. So I am including the recipe from the delish website. It was submitted by Brenda1980. She stated that is was like her grandmother used to make. I agree, they are like the ones mine made too. Enjoy!
Soft Sugar Cookies
1 cup shortening
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour milk (1 cup milk with 1tsp vinegar, let set 1 minute)
3 1/2 cups flour
In mixer cream shortening & sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, & nutmeg. In a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients with the flour. Add dry ingredients alternately with the milk to the creamed mixture. Drop by spoonfuls on a cookie sheet. Bake 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes (I did 13 min.) Makes 3 dozen.

No comments: