Sunday, June 6, 2010

Summer Reading

I love to read. I read all year long. I read biographies, political books, fiction but I especially like mysteries. I usually have someone recommend a book and I read through the whole series (no sci-fi fantasies or romances). I have read through Louis Lamour for the western flavor. Of course Tony Hillerman has written fantastic books about Native Americans in New Mexico. Along that line is also Margaret Coel. For Alaska mysteries no one beats Dana Stabenow and her Kate Shugak or Sue Henry and her Jessie Arnold. If you have been to Alaska you will recognize many places in their books. I can re-read their books over and over. For easy reading there is Lilian Jackson Braun and her "The Cat Who..." series. Katherine Page Hall and Cleo Coyle (who writes the coffeshop mysteries) are both enjoyable. Blogger Lene Andersen, http://www.theseatedview.com/ , recommended Elizabeth Peters who writes the Amelia Peabody mysteries. Amelia is an archeologist in the early 1900's. Great reading. If you are interested knitting and handwork there are Monica Ferris and Maggie Sefton along with numerous new authors who have begun writing about handcrafts. I can't leave out Brad Thor. If you like political thrillers he is top rate. I also include whatever biographies or political books that happen to hit my fancy. I love reading about Eleanor Roosevelt. Blanche Wiesen Cook has a great two book series with the hope of a third coming out eventually. I have been also reading Karl Rove's new book this summer. Hey, variety is the spice of life. Right now I am in the middle of reading James Patterson's Woman's Murder Club books. I wanted something different and had not read any of his books. I do remember something about this series being a TV show a few years back. I think Angie Harmon was in it. I just finished book four, "The 4th of July", and am getting ready to start the fifth one, "5th Horseman". This is typical of reading for me. I get into a series and read it until either I finish it or get tired and move to another author. With the economy being the way it is if Border's or Barnes and Noble are just to expensive for you try Half Price Books. You can feed your habit by selling your old books so you can buy new ones. Or you can do like I have been having to do this summer, don't forget your public library. If you are on a reading jag then this is the cheapest way to go. Not only that but don't forget your taxes pay for those books. Take advantage of that. I always think it is weird when people are asked what is the last book they have read and they do not have an answer. Keep a list of what you read. Not only will you see what some of your preferences are but you can look back at the end of the year and see what you have accomplished. Go on, get reading.

No comments: