Monday, June 22, 2009

Ok, Come On Now...

How many socks have I made in the last year? I mean really, how hard is it to turn the heel? Well apparently since last night it is very hard. I know what happened. I got too confident, so impressed with myself that I was just flying along in this pair of socks. When I decided I wanted to make these anklet socks to go with my Crocs I wanted to find an easy pattern. Well, I guess I just wanted to find a good ankle rib and then do my own thing. So after smartly posting the cute sock yesterday I cast on the next one and zipped through the ribbing and the 14 rows of stockingette. I then went through the heel flap while watching "Army Wives". I was so confident. I was going to whip this second sock out by Monday night at the latest. If I say that I may still do that I will be taunting the knitting gods and the sock will develop more problems. Let me just say that I ripped out the stupid "turning the heel" at least five if not six times. Because I altered the pattern to what I wanted for some reason even though I whipped through the first sock I could not get this one to come out correctly. I was getting frustrated. I mean this is just a sock heel. I checked what I wrote down for my alterations and it all looked fine. The only thing I could figure was that I made a note that did not get on the paper. I counted, I recounted, I ripped, I reknit, I talked nice to the yarn and the pattern. Grrrr. I mean I just did this sock yesterday. Finally I said I am going to go get "Knitting Rules" by Yarn Harlot. She has saved my knitting sanity more than once when I was ready to throw my knitting across the room. I turned to the Basic Sock Recipe and just re-read it thinking that something would jump out at me. Nothing did. Relax, breathe in, breathe out. The solution is there. I looked at the stitch count. Then I refigured my count. (My apologies to my high school and college math teachers who I told that math had no relevance to anything I was going to do with my life.) Somehow something in my head said read slowly and reknit the sock. I did but when I got to the end I thought I had too many stitches. But in comparing with the Basic Sock Recipe heel turning I was where I should be. I have no idea what I did different and I have no idea why I had no trouble with the first sock. I made very bold notes on the revised pattern so that when I make the second pair of socks hopefully there will be no trouble. As to this pair, well let's just say there will be no sock celebration till this one is completely finished and off the needles.

No comments: