Monday, March 11, 2013

RA Blog

I came across a very good blog post today thanks to a link by Lene, www.theseatedview.blogspot.com . Unless someone has RA it is hard for people to understand exactly how it makes you physically feel. A few years ago I decided it made me feel like I have the flu all the time. My rheumatologist said that is a pretty good description. Add to that the pain that never goes away but is only lessened by medication. Remicade usually works pretty good for me but the last two months I have felt like I didn't get an infusion. I call it a medicine controlled flare. The reason for that is I have had flares without the meds and it can be totally disabling. Lene linked an article from www.livingwithra.wordpress.com The Musings about RA from a Scientific Frame of Reference. The post is titled "Why Do I Feel So Bad With RA: Cytokine Induced Sickness." Andrew writes from a scientific perspective and I am so glad. I get so tired of people giving me advice on how I could make my RA "well". RA is NOT like the arthritis advertised on TV that we can "cure" with a few Tylenol or Advil. I tend to get a little upset at those ads because this seems to make the average person think they can tell you what you need to do to feel better. Many of us are treated by drugs that were originally created to treat cancer. Read Andrew's post. It describes the battle that goes on within our bodies as they fight the attack that comes from within. I have added Andrew's blog to my blog list. Check it out. Knowledge is power.

No comments: