Monday, November 17, 2008

It's All about Hats
















Right now it is all about the hats. It has finally started to get cool and we can pull out the sweaters and hats. I made "turkey" hats for the grandkids. I called them that because the yarn was the colors that we used to make pictures of turkeys when we were kids, brown, green, yellow and orange. Jo's was my regular sock cap pattern. The boys was a roll brim. Jo is pretty much at a stable pattern size but the boys are growing so fast you can hardly get a hat done before they grow out of it. I knew I was taking a chance on the turkey hats and they did fit, right now. So they will get through Thanksgiving with them but won't wear them for long. So I decided to whip up a couple of hats that hopefully will last a little longer. I made them out of Bernat Softee Chunky yarn. The picture does not do the yarn justice. It is a soft brown, blue and cream. I really liked it and it worked up very nicely. I adapted a roll brim to fit and knit till I thought it would hit below their ears. We will see. But maybe these will get them through at least January. I have already started on the Christmas hats. Actually Jo's is finished and since her mother reads this I will refrain from describing it and ruining the surprise. I will give it to her right after Thanksgiving and then post a picture of it. The boys are getting little Santa hats. Again I am adapting the pattern in hopes that they fit. Since it is just for Christmas they don't have to fit as long. I did not like the brim of the pattern so I am making it two inches instead of four and then will knit till the decrease begins. Since they are small I have to decide what to do about the tassel. They put everything in their mouths. I have not forgotten my socks. I finished the Savanne this weekend and have cast on Tofutsies in #855, blue, purple and pink. So I knit till I am tired of the hat and switch to the socks for a change. So much yarn and so little time.




No comments: