Thursday, January 20, 2011

Reading

A couple of years ago I decided to start keeping a list of the books I read through the year. Last year the total was 39 books. That includes biographies, mysteries, political, a variety of things. I can't imagine anyone not liking to read. There is something out there for everyone. I am finishing a Brad Thor thriller and am in the middle of Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I usually am not influenced by books that are recommended in the press. Different people like different kinds of books. Plus I hate wasting time on something that is boring or not my type of book. I also hate not finishing a book. Around Christmas I saw an interview with Louis Zamperini. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand is the story of his life focusing mainly on his World War II service. Before the war Zamperini was also an Olympic athlete. I started reading the book and found it very interesting. In fact it was hard to put down. Hillenbrand gave some childhood background and then introduced WWII and Zamperini's service in the Pacific theater. My dad served the Navy on Okinawa during WWII. All through the descriptions of battles I can see what my dad must have gone through but never talked about. I am only half way through this book but I highly recommend it. I will give a full review when I have finished it but will say it is well worth reading.

No comments: