Thursday, April 16, 2009

Think Socks






Today I should be feeling good. I had my Remicade infusion yesterday and should be all chipper. My back is killing me. I don't know why. Well I do but not for the normal reason. The RA is always there just in various phases. The back though is a weird combination of several things but basically yesterday upon my complaint my doctor said it is the Osteoarthritis that is damaging my back and causing the constant pain. Yeah, I knew this, that it was there but I keep hoping that with time and rest it will, well, disappear. Ain't gonna happen. When I had my infusion I was in a chair that was not very comfortable and I think it put a strain on my back. Sitting for almost two hours attatched to an IV, well I should have checked and seen if someone moved out of one of the more comfortable chairs and changed my chair. I was reading, The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs, and just was not realizing I was not as comfortable as usual. So now today I am resting. My doctor gave me some rules and ideas to help perhaps lessen the stress on the back but in truth nothing is going to really change, well, for the better. The only thing that can get better is my attitude about limitations that must be adhered to. I am grateful that I am so much better than in 2001 when I could not move or walk without excruciating pain and was forced to quit my job. I am grateful that I am healthy enough that I can play with the grandkids and knit and drive. I think the hardest battle sometimes is fought with our emotions and our expectations of and for ourselves. So here are some socks I am working on because thanks to the Yarn Harlot I love to knit socks and thanks to strong RA meds I can knit. Knitting gives me great pleasure. It is like a balm to soothe frazzled, raw emotions. A while back I decided I was not going to have more than one project going at a time. Well that lasted about one day. So with socks I can have several going in various stages of knit and move from one to the other. This also can help ward of the feared SSS, Second Sock Syndrome. If you have finished a sock and don't want to work on the matching second sock you can flow to another pair. By the time you finish that sock you can go back to the original sock. If you are tired of knitting on the leg and want something different you have the turning of the heel to work on different sock. So here are pictures of socks in progress at the moment. Berroco Sox #1425, Tofutises #921, and Fortissima Colori #1776. All are being knit in Yarn Harlot's Basic Sock Recipe. Now I don't know about anyone else but just talking about knitting has made me feel better. Think I will go knit on a sock for a while.


No comments: