Monday, May 18, 2009

But You Don't Look Sick





I added a new link on the blog today. I was on Ravelry reading the forums. One I belong to is an arthritis group. SherriA commented about the website http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/. There is an article written by Christine Miserandino called "The Spoon Theory." I had read the article last year but had forgotten how well it described life when you have certain illnesses. I went to the site and re-read the article. When you live with a disease that can cause constant pain and tiredness you have to think about all the activities you want to do not just for the day but for the week. Everything comes at a cost. If you try to explain to someone how hard it is to get up early in the morning and just get ready to go to work, school or a doctor's appointment, most people really do not understand. I won't go on and on here about the length of time it takes do do certain things or how I have to decide what to chose to do. I think the article is very good at explaining it. Christine used Lupus as her example. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Both are autoimmune diseases. Your body attacks itself. My meds pretty much keep the pain to a dull roar but the tiredness never goes away. So choices must be made. I put the link on here for others to read and maybe understand that it is not because we don't want to do stuff but because we have to "count the spoons." My daughter and my sister are two people who do undertand, listen to my complaints and grumblings but love me anyway and tolerate my psycho crazy days. That link is not aimed at them. They know it but I wanted to say it. They always have a listening ear . I love them both. I am not sure why the weekend seemed to set me off but I am tired so today's post is really a confirmation to me to remind myself that I need to remember to "count the spoons." Pictured are two of the reasons why. They can have all my spoons.

No comments: