Saturday, May 30, 2009

Yarn Harlot





The eagerly awaited visit of The Yarn Harlot, aka Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, to Dallas became reality last night. Stephanie was here to meet with knitters and to sign her new book "Free-Range Knitter" at Legacy Bookstore which is actually located in Plano. As knitters began to arrive they waited patiently for Stephanie by knitting on whatever project they had brought with them and chatting about all things knit. There were socks galore of course but there were also scarves, shawls, green knit grocery sacks and beading on knitting. There was wool, alpaca, cotton and yes, even some cashmere for good measure. Stephanie was prompt in her arrival and talked for 45 minutes straight about knitting. She had been in Austin the night before and if you have followed her blog you know that she has had some trouble with Mercury in Retrograde. Seems like everything that could go wrong has. But she was fun and funny, yaknow. Only once in a while did her Canadian come out. I wondered how she liked being in Texas but of course we Texans have no accent or common words, am I right ya'll? After her talk she graciously said she would sign all books and talk to everyone. She has got to be tired. The woman never stops and if you read her blog you know she has had some pretty stressful times trying to get the Sock Summit ready. But there she sat signing books and taking her own pictures of us as we took pictures of her. Well, I say sat but she was up and down out of her chair posing for pictures, taking pictures and holding the babies of course. I had always envied people who had actually been able to meet Stephanie. I mean I've read all her books. This is the woman that redeemed the value of knitting socks for me after I had had some bad relationships with four size 3 needles and and sock yarn. When I got her book "Knitting Rules" and used her Basic Sock Recipe, well let's just say I was addicted for life on knitting socks. That is my sock I am knitting that she is holding. When her tour schedule was posted I could not believe she was actually coming here and that I would get to meet her. Immediately the date went on the calendar. The Ravelry groups in this area all became excited that she was coming and we chatted back and forth about her books and where the bookstore was and how early we would have to leave since it was on a Friday and traffic on North Dallas Tollway on a normal day is well let's just say challenging. In the end it was a super evening. Stephanie in person is the same as the Stephanie in her books. When you read about the squirrel who steals her fleece or the fact that she has to find her knitting needle that has been eaten somehow by the car and it does not make any difference that the car has to be turned in or that you might have more needles exactly like that, you think yeah, that is me. I think that is part of what makes her so well liked. She is real. She has kids, a husband, challenges with her appliances and she is passionate about knitting and knitters. So thanks Steph for a very fun evening. Now I need to go knit on a sock.

1 comment:

Allie Pleiter said...

I've not yet gotten to meet her but would love to...she sounds like so much fun! And I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain because I was reading one of her books in public and laughed out loud. Someday I hope people love my writing as much as they love hers...