Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Chewable Afghan?

I finished the newest car blankie today. This is for Scout. Allison had e-mailed me and asked for a new blankie for Scout because for some reason her purple and green camo one seems to be fuzzing. I have used the Bernat Camo for a lot of stuff and this is really the first time I have had it fuzz. Of course when you are two and a half months old you want stuff in your mouth. So I whipped up this little 12" square car blankie to see how she likes it. There are always bad things said about knitter's stash but this was one time when it was good to have, well let's say a decent amount of yarn to choose from. I went to what I lovingly call "YoYo's Yarn Shop" , humor me here, and chose two skeins from the same type of yarn I had used for Jo's blankies. I digress for a moment. I love yarn. I love all kinds of yarn. Yarn, knitting needles and patterns have seen me through some pretty physically and emotionally painful times. In these weird economic times and the swine flu worries people were told to stock up for a couple of weeks worth of food. I worried, did I have enough yarn to last in case of some major catastrophe. When I flew to the grandboys birthday party my thoughts were not how many clothes do I need to take for one night and a short flight, but how much yarn should I take and do I want to use circular or double points on the plane? Alpaca or sock yarn? So... when I needed to make a new blankie I went to the stash. I had a skein of Baby Bee in yellow and Baby Bee in an ombre that I had used for another project. I thought these would be perfect. All Allison asked for was bright colors. I mean we have to whip this up quick because a girl should not be without her blankie (or whatever soothes her) in times of stress. I just knitted in good old garter stitch till I was tired of a color and then changed to the other yarn. It ended up being 6" in each color. I think Scout will like it because it is in bright colors and it is very soft. At this point the question comes as to the type of yarn this blankie is. It is acrylic for easy wash and dry. I know some people turn up their noses at anything that is not "real" fiber but I believe there is a use for most different types of yarns. It depends on what you want and how much money you have. My favorite fiber is alpaca but I use wool and various different fibers for socks. I am not big on cotton but that is because I have probably not yet found one I like except Tofutises which is 22% cotton. I believe in equal opportunity for all yarns and fibers until they prove they are not worthy. Then they are gone from the stash. So here is the new blankie. Will this blankie be chewable? We will see. I am giving it to her tomorrow. Oh, yeah, I am feeling a little better today.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

I love the color! I'm sure she will love it.