Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Crocheted With Love


Most people have wonderful memories of their grandparents. Here is a picture of mine, Tom and Clara Statler. I love this picture. Their house held many fond memories for me. It is good for grandchildren to know that they are loved. My grandparents loved me. When my grandpa retired he learned to crochet so he and my grandma could crochet together. This is the bedspread that they crocheted together. This was made out of fine crochet thread and tiny hooks. I have no idea how long it took them to make it. There is also a tablecoth that I used at my wedding made of the same fine thread. They both look so happy in this picture, pleased with their work. This is how I remember them. I laugh when I tell people that I love the smell of Ben-Gay and cigars. That is what my grandpa smelled like which to me still smells like love. My grandma taught me to crochet in 1973. Yes, it was one of those gold, orange, and brown granny square afghans. I was awful at it. It seemed so hard. My grandma was patient with my frustrations and just kept on working with me. That was Christmas 1973 and the last time I really got to spend any time with her. I never did finish that afghan. Later on I used some of the yarn for other things and eventually threw away those misshapen, tight, ugly squares. The afghan might not have been finished but the crochet lessons stuck. About a year later I started having joint problems. I was not yet diagnosed with Rheumatiod Arthritis at that point but should have been. The pain was unbearable at times. As time went on I picked up the crocheting again and for years made afghans for friends and family. One year for Christmas I made all the women in the family shawls. It was a very simple pattern. My mother's is pictured here. Everyone had a different color. My sister still has hers and uses it. I wanted to put a picture here but it is not on the computer so it didn't make it. If you look my finishing skills at that point were nonexistant. I did not block the pieces so they are not like I would make today but I would not have made them at all if I had not had a patient grandma who was willing to take the time to teach me. Today I do not crochet much as I prefer to knit. But in the not to distant future there is a little girl who already likes to play with yarn that is going to want YoYo to teach her to knit or crochet. I can't wait.






1 comment:

lauriec said...

Thank you for sharing such beautiful memories! It's funny how we don't miss these times until they're gone. I look back on my time at my grandparents house with my aunts, uncles & cousins as cherished times that I miss now as an adult!