Monday, March 22, 2010

A Love/Hate Relationship

Computers and I have a real love/hate relationship. Right now it is in the hate part. Last week my power cord came unplugged from the computer. Dang, I was in the middle of something. I plugged it back in and then after it came up it locked. Of course it did. It goes to any length possible to make things harder. I turned it off and instead of turning back on it gave me the message that it needed to check something and in 30 seconds would return. Famous last words. After "playing around" and waiting for it to fix itself I said forget it and went to bed. The next morning thinking positive thoughts I just knew that after a night of rest the computer would be fine, relaxed, refreshed. That computer would have a whole new attitude and pop right up and say yes ma'am here I am to do your bidding. Yeah, right. So after 2 hours on the phone with Dell, in India, I was told that they could not fix it. That the harddrive was ok but that I would need to go to a tech and have them get everything that was on there onto an external harddrive, just for extra caution in case anything has been missed, and then I would have to have Windows re-installed. Did I mention I have a love/hate relationships with computers. I love being able to "talk" to anyone anytime, I love looking up things on the computer, the fastness of it. I love pictures, I love Ravelry and finding anything at anytime about knitting. I love that I can find the most update in RA news and the blogs of my friends dealing as I am with auto-immune diseases. What I hate is what has just happened. Basically computer crash. The time, energy and money wasted getting things back to normal. So at this point I am typing on the big ol' PC and thinking how do I put pictures on this thing. So here I am at the mercy of technology and again asking why do I have to put up with this thing. By the way, on the first day of spring, Saturday March 20, here in North Central Texas, it snowed 2" at my house. Crazy.

No comments: