Sunday, June 10, 2012

Deja Vu

Back thirty years ago we used to go to Pop and Granny's in the summer and put up the garden. We did corn, beans, peas, okra, cucumbers into pickles, peaches, potatoes. As you can see we were busy and in the fall and winter that stuff was fantastic. The garden at The Ponderosa has been going crazy especially after the rain. The tomatoes, carrots, onions, and cucumbers are going crazy to say nothing of the yellow squash and zucchini. Today we went and I made 12 quarts of pickles. Allison has already made something like 60 quarts. It was fun but also tiring. I had forgotten how long it took to wash the cucumbers and pack them in the jars to say nothing of the "soaking" time before you seal the jars.

Washing the cucumbers.

Water bath to prep the cucumbers.

Adding the vinegar and salt water along with the garlic and dill.

Yum.

All done.

Allison and I with the finished product. I carried them home
and put them on the shelf. Now just have to wait six weeks
for them to "pickle". It is hard to be patient. Can't wait till they are done.









2 comments:

Deborah Hamilton said...

Those pickles look wonderful! Now you have something to look forward to when it's too hot to get outside.

Angela said...

I am jealous of all those cucumbers! I put up 12 pints of kosher dills, but I'll have to wait six weeks til I know if they are any good, and since it's my first time....... You gals look great after all that pickling :)