Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Georgia Visit #1







My visit to see Joseph in Ft Benning, Georgia this last week included doing some things I had not done when I was there before. After we left the airport in Atlanta we stopped for lunch. I had never heard of Hapeville, GA but it is an important place for all Chick-Fil-A lovers. The original Chick-Fil-A is in Hapeville. It is called The Dwarf House. The reason for this was it's tiny size. If you look in the picture the original building is the little brick part on the right. Let me just say, it was Chick-Fil-A. I got the nuggets and Joseph got the sandwich. We both had what JoEllen calls "awful fries", meaning the waffle fries. Absolutely yummy. They also have a full service area here. If you are heading south of Atlanta be sure you stop in.

Sunday we had lunch at Vallarte Mexican Food. It is right off post I believe on Victory Drive. The salsa here is really good. The cheese in their cheese enchiladas is thick and creamy. It is actually a tradition that we eat there when I come to visit. That started when I went to see Joseph in May 2006. He had just been sent to Ft Benning. One of the happiest times to eat there was when he returned from Iraq. We took some of his buddies out to eat to celebrate them coming home. After lunch we went to Oxbow Creek golf course to play golf. Well Joseph plays golf I get to drive the golf cart. Actually driving the cart is fun and it was a gorgeous day.

Joseph loves to cook on the grill and is a "grilling purist" using only charcole. This actually was a lot of fun. Not only did he cook steak, shish-k-bobs, hamburgers and chicken but we got to make good old fashioned smores. We made them several times and that melting chocolate with the squishy marshmallow, well it was heavenly.

We went on Wednesday to see the Civil War Naval Museum in Columbus. This is actually just down the road from Vallarte's. I love to study the Civil War. This is one of the neatest museums. There is so much to see. They have restored several boats, there are many weapon artifacts and the largest display of huge flags I have ever seen. Most were captured from the different ships. There is also a large section of the Merrimac on display. This is a great museum. We were there for over two hours and we still could have spent more time there is so much to see and read. The cost was minimal to view this many artifacts. We still had the rest of the week and there would be three more major historical places for me to see. More on those later.



No comments: