Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pleasant January Day


The first baby sock of the second pair is finished. This is such a great pattern. Since I "discovered" Yarn Harlot's Basic Sock Recipe I absolutely love knitting socks. Not only that but I learned how to do the Kitchener stitch to close the toe and I love doing that too. I think it makes the toe look nice and once you do it a few times it really is not hard. This yarn is Katia Mississippi 3. I got it from Shabby Sheep. If you have not been there (in the Uptown area of Dallas) you must go. It is a great shop with fantastic yarn and fun and helpful staff. Thanks Ronda, I love your store. The second sock is on the needles, 2.50 mm, and I hope to get it finished pretty quickly as I need to start on the baby afghan.
I gave Jo her last knitted hat and scarf of the season. I handed her the sack and when she opened it up, well you can't make the right sound on a blog for the sound of her excitement. It actually caught me off guard. It was almost like a gasp with a laugh and a squeal. I did not realize she would like it so much. The white is Lion Brand White Frost. The Pink is Caron Dazzle Aire which is assume is non-existant anymore. It is fuzzy like the white frost and very soft. It was stash yarn but not just from my stash. When my elderly neighbor died a few years ago (she watched all my kids grow up) her daughter gave me a big bag of yarn from her stash. They knew I knit and crocheted and wanted it to go to good use. I knew that this yarn would have to be used for something special. Enter grand-daughter #1. One day in "rummaging" through my stash, ok I was organizing, these two yarns just found each other. They were perfect for a hat and scarf for Jo. I knit them up in October. It was really hard not to mention about them or give them to her until now. I had made a Halloween set, a Thanksgiving set and a couple of Christmas sets so I decided this was the January set. So with all that done I am now heading to finish the baby knitting and those socks for me that are waiting patiently in the knitting basket.

No comments: