Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Knitting History

I bought a new magazine today. I do not normally purchase this magazine because I try to limit magazine spending. In fact I purchase fewer overall than I did a few years ago. This issue was featured on my Knitting Daily e-mail a few days ago. I immediately fell in love with the hat on the cover. It is listed as a Historical Knitting Issue and it is. I love reading about the history of knitting from all perspectives and creations and countries. There is an article about Eleanor Roosevelt and her knitting. I loved the fact that when she was a member of the UN delegation as the men squabbled she took out her knitting. There is an article about knitting two socks at once. This would be extremely helpful for those of us who have the dreaded "Second Sock Syndrome". Another article written by Nancy Bush talks about Estonian knitting. I want to make the Marko's Mittens. They are absolutely gorgeous. The main reason I bought this magazine is the Alice Starmore baby bonnet. I am going to knit this. Yes I am. Well maybe not right this minute but this is going on the list. I like all kinds of knitting and have made many things including lace and dabbling a little in begginers Fair Isle but this will take even more time and patience. So after all the other baby knitting is finished this is going to be a project that gets moved to the top of the list. All this is to say that this issue is wonderful. If you enjoy reading about the history of knitting then you must pick it up.

No comments: