Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Day With the Girls


Yesterday was really a lovely day. My daughter called and asked if I would make a pair of socks for my granddaughter. What a question. We decided to meet at the El Fenix Mexican restaurant in downtown Dallas. Ah, comfort food. This is my favorite restaurant and the one downtown is the best. After a wonderful lunch of enchiladas we headed to The Shabby Sheep. This is a great LYS. There is always yarn in abundance. It is so hard to choose and so easy to spend. I am a firm believer that yarn purchased while you are somewhat downcast does not count as spending money. Don't try to figure that out. We arrived at The Shabby Sheep. My grandaughter, who will be three in three weeks was excited about the fountain out back. Then we opened the door to the shop and "there were puppies". Abby the shop dog was there and one of her dog friends. Well, yarn took backseat to the dogs. I showed her several skeins of sock yarn encouraging her with "do you like this color?" Every answer was "sure." Every few minutes we heard "I want a dog like this." The reason? Abby is a small dog. Her dogs are a Mastiff and a Lab/Pointer mix. My daughter and I looked at all the yarns touching, testing for softness discussing colors. Then you would hear again, " I like this dog." She was sitting by Abby and I said let me take your picture . Here she is with Abby. She eventually chose Tofutsies. The color was a perfect match to the blanket I made for her when she was born. It is a purple, pink, green and white blend. I came home and of course immediately cast on the yarn. With cool weather hopefully arriving soon she will probably want more socks. I am sure the next time I say I need to get yarn she will be wanting to come along. Of course not to choose the yarn but to see Abby.

No comments: