Sunday, December 28, 2008

Crazy Weather


First let's get this Texas weather thing taken care of. Man, I know it is snowy, rainy etc. up north but this extreme temperature changes is making my RA go wacko. Earlier in the month we had had that cold front that left us with 25 degrees in the morning and what felt like a wind chill of 25 below. Then we warmed up and had some nice days of consistant medium weather cool in the morning but warming up to 60-ish which is nice and tolerable. We actually had a record high on I believe Christmas eve of 83. Now wait a minute, it is December and while we do not live in the land of snow I really do not want 83 at Christmas. The forcast for Saturday was to be warmer than normal. Okay. I just did not expect it to be 74 degrees when I woke up. 74 degrees!! The wind had been really gusting and the trees were all whipping around and any leaves left are now long gone. About 10:00 it got very dark. You could see the line of clear sky with what looked like a straight line of grey clouds straight across. It was "tornado-ish" looking. Then it started to rain. At that point the temperature had dropped to 61. The rain lasted about 45 minutes and then it was gone. By 11:00 it was down to 51 degrees but by 2:30 it was back up to 64 and it was sunny. By 5:45 it was 57, 8:40 it was 49 and by 10:15 it was 46. I get up this morning and it was 32 degrees. Right now it is 52 degrees. I know you are thinking did she have nothing to do but check the weather all day. I was busy doing other things but was really curious just how much the temperature would change throughout the day. The reason is that with rheumatoid arthritis drastic weather changes can make you go from feeling fine to not wanting to move out of your chair. Even with medications it is better to have either one or the other, just a more level variation instead of 40 degrees in less than 24 hours.


One of the things I did accomplish was finishing the baby socks. I think they came out really cute. I wish I could find the site on the internet that I printed the pattern from. It was one of those that you click here and click there and then click somewhere else. I have looked all the places I thought I might have gotten it but to no luck. Most sites will print at the bottom of the page their web address but this one did not. It really is almost a minature version of Yarn Harlot's Basic Sock Recipe. In the decrease at the toe they decrease only and do not knit in between the rows. I do have to say that after a very severe case of "fear of the Kitchener Stitch" I absolutely love using it. This pattern just called for pulling the yarn thru the toe but I did Kitchener and think it turned out very nice. I will post a pix of it on my projects page on Ravelry. I immediately cast on the next pair of socks on size 2.50 mm needles with yarn that Allison had picked out from Shabby Sheep. It is Katia Mississippi 3, a cotton and acrylic blend. The color is #789 Forest Green. It is very soft and pleasing to work with. I also still have two socks, each the first in a pair, on the needles. They get worked on when doing a K2, P2 rib for four inches makes me crazy or I need to knit only because of distraction. But now I need to get knitting and see if I can perhaps finish the first little green sock today. With no distractions it might happen.

1 comment:

ponderthis said...

Yea! I really like that green!